Body Contouring after Massive Weight Loss
View Before & After Gallery
Surgical body contouring after a major weight loss helps to remove the excess sagging skin and fat while improving the shape of the underlying supporting tissues. The ultimate result is to obtain a more proportionate appearance with some smoother contour. A dramatic weight loss is sometimes very important and there are times when it becomes utter compulsory. But after any massive weight loss, the skin and tissues lack the elasticity to conform to the reduced size of the body.
Body Contouring Benefits:
Body contouring helps to remove the loose skin from the body so that people can get a better fit into their clothes. For some people with hanging, a skin may experience some issues like infection, rashes, painful chafing, etc. Body Contouring can help to alleviate all of these issues thus improving their self-esteem and confidence.
Body contouring procedure includes
- Facelift- Sagging mid-face, jowls, and neck
- Breast Lift- Sagging, flattened breasts
- Tummy Tuck- The excess fat hanging over the abdomen
- Lower Body Lift- sagging abdomen, buttocks, inner and outer thighs
- Medial thigh lift- sagging inner thigh
- Arm Lift- sagging of the upper arms
Before beginning with the body contouring procedure the candidate is administered with intravenous sedation and general anesthesia. The choices include the surgeon’s best recommendations for anesthesia. All the body contouring procedures require large incisions that can remove the excess skin and in many instances, the incisions may also be extensive. The length and pattern of the incisions depend on the amount and location of the excess skin that has to be removed with regards to personal preference and your surgeon’s recommendations. The implementation of advanced techniques helps the incisions to be placed in strategic locations where they can be hidden by most clothing. However, the final results of body contouring may take few years to be visible. However, at the end of the procedure, the incisions are sutured and then bandaged up until recovery.
Different Body Contouring procedures
- Body lift– a complete lower body lift includes the treatment of sagging buttocks, abdomen, waist, hips and the outer thighs. The incision patterns may vary and it may include a circumferential incision around the body that can remove the excess skin and fat.
- Gynecomastia surgery- The incisions patterns are made in such a pattern that it can lift up a man’s sagging breasts depending on the amount of excess skin to be removed. One or a combination of various incisions may be used to reduce the male breast size and provide a flattened and masculine chest contour.
- Breast Lift- The incision patterns for lifting up a woman’s sagging breasts are usually determined based on the amount of excess skin to be removed. However, these may include one or a combination of incisions in a circular pattern around the areola and a line extending horizontally along the areola to the breast fold. A breast implant may also be used for enhancing the breast shape and size.
- Arm Lift- The sagging skin of the upper arms are treated with an incision that extends from the underarm area along the inner side or the back of the upper arm. Some additional incisions on the arms may be necessary if there are other areas with excess skin.
- Thigh lift- Reshaping the inner thighs is achieved through incisions from the groin that is extended around the hip and then down to the knee along the inseam of the thigh. Improving the contours of the outer thigh may require incisions extending from the groin around the hip.
- Tummy Tuck- Tummy Tuck or Abdominoplasty helps to get rid of the loose, excess skin and fat which tightens the slack fascia by removing the stretch marks and excess skin in the lower abdomen below the belly button.
- Liposuction- Liposuction can improve the contour the flanks, hips, chest, thighs, neck, upper arms and knees. Liposuction can play a major role in body contouring by removing the stubborn fat pockets.
The surgery results will not be visible immediately and the final results may be visible after a couple of years which may not meet expectations. There will be permanent scarring that the surgeons may try to hide within the natural creases and inconspicuous areas. Finally, the surgical results may be affected by weight gain, aging and lifestyle choices.
Am I a good candidate for plastic surgery after massive weight loss?
There may come a time after dramatic weight loss when your weight is stable, but you are distressed by sagging and overhanging skin. If you are considering plastic surgery to improve your body contour, these characteristics make you a good candidate:
- Your weight has been stable for at least six months with no further weight loss expected. For optimal results, body contouring should not be done for approximately two years after the start of any dramatic weight-loss program. This time allows your skin to shrink as much as possible and your nutrition to be stabilized and optimized, factors that will aid in your recovery.
- You are in overall good health without chronic medical conditions, such as diabetes or heart disease. People in poor health are not good candidates for body-contouring procedures. Get clearance for plastic surgery from your primary care physician or from doctors treating you for medical conditions.
- You have a healthy diet; problems such as protein deficiencies can interfere with healing.
- You do not smoke; smoking slows down the healing process and increases the risk of serious complications during and after surgery. If you smoke, you must quit at least six weeks before surgery.
- You have mental stamina; surgical contouring procedures require patience and endurance.
- You have realistic expectations; surgery will lead to marked improvements in your shape, but it is impossible to restore the skin or body to what it would have been without the weight gain or to what it was in your teens or twenties. Even after body-contouring surgery, skin continues to sag over time as part of normal aging.
Procedure surgeon in Mumbai
Mumbai is a hub of cosmetic surgeries and cosmetic surgeons and it becomes really tough to select one. It is always the best option to choose the right surgeon who can understand your goals and with whom you feel comfortable. So if you are in search for a surgeon or a clinic, then Dr. Sameer Karkhanis’ CCRS is the best option for you. CCRS or the Centre for the Cosmetic and Reconstructive surgeon is one of the best multi-speciality hospitals in Mumbai, it is the centre where Dr. Sameer implements all of his interests and experiences to provide the best to his patients and also to try to enhance the quality of their life. His centre CCRS is stuffed with all the latest updated technologies and highly efficient staff and nurses who leave no stone unturned to provide absolute comfort to their patients.
Preparation before surgery, on the day of surgery and after the surgery
- After deciding to undergo the body contouring surgery, the surgical goals, medical conditions, drug allergies and every other detail will be discussed with your surgeon. The surgeon may evaluate the general health conditions and other risk factors of the patients to confirm if the candidates are suitable to go for the procedure or not. The surgeon will also ask the candidate to stop smoking and other medications which will interrupt the course of healing
- During the procedure, the candidates are administered with local or general anesthesia depending on the type and extensiveness of the surgery. The incisions are made as required and finally, at the end of the procedure the incisions are sutured up and bandaged
- The patients usually experience some grogginess if administered with general anesthesia, but those with local anesthesia can go back to their home. They are provided with a set of post-surgery instructions which the candidate must follow precisely to enjoy the best results
- Am I a good candidate for the procedure?
Any adult whose weight is stable and are in good health condition is considered as a perfect candidate. They must be non-smokers and dedicated to leading a healthy lifestyle after undergoing the procedure.
- How long will the results last?
Unless the candidates gain more weight or have become pregnant, the results are permanent. Though the effects of time and age cannot be barred and patients who have received breast implants need to a replacement after every ten years.
- What is the associated cost of the procedure?
The cost of the plastic surgery after a massive weight loss varies from surgeon to surgeon and location of the surgery. However, the main factor that decides the price range of the surgery is the number, kind, and type of anaesthesia administered in the procedures.
- What are the risks involved?
Usually, the potential risks and complications of the surgery are discussed during the consultation. The surgeon will provide instructions that can minimize the chances of certain risks and complications. However, the complications may include adverse effect to anesthesia, hematoma, seroma, infection, bleeding, scarring, unsatisfactory results, etc.