Many women are not happy and satisfied with the shape, size and structure of their breasts. Such issues make them feel self-conscious and they start losing their self-esteem. Therefore, to address such issues breast surgery is one of the most frequently performed cosmetic procedures that can reduce, enhance and also lift up sagging breasts. So to get such cosmetic procedures done, it is very important to get in touch with an experienced surgeon who is adept in these procedures and can help you to achieve the best and desired results. Undergoing such cosmetic procedures not only enhances the physical appearance of the individual but also increases their self-confidence and esteem.
Types of breast surgery
- Breast Augmentation
- Breast Reduction
- Breast Reconstruction
- Breast Lift
- Breast Augmentation– The procedure is performed to enhance the appearance, size and contour of a woman’s breast. Women consider breast augmentation for different reasons. Some may feel their breasts are too small whereas others may desire to augment their breasts after pregnancy or even to rectify the asymmetry. Breast augmentation is usually performed by either using implants or by fat transfer. Breast implants are made up of a silicone shell filled with either saline or silicone gel. The woman usually decides the size of the implant that they want. To place the implants in proper position the incisions are made according to the size of the implant used and are usually made on axilla, areola or lower breast fold so that the scars are hidden within the natural breast contour. Surgeons preferably position the implants under the chest muscle or above it depending on the desired augmentation. However, it is a straightforward procedure Read More
- Breast Reduction- Breast Reduction surgery is used for women with large and heavy breasts who experience noteworthy discomfort including neck pain, back pain, numbness or weakness due to the weight of their breasts. In the breast reduction procedure, the excess skin, fat and other breast tissues are removed to make the breasts smaller and lighter. Breast reduction can effectively relieve you from certain symptoms Read More
- Breast Reconstruction- Breast reconstruction procedure recreates the breasts to achieve the desired appearance, contour and volume. The nipple and areola may be repositioned, but that may or may not return sensation or normal breast function. The appearance, contour and volume of the breast may also be recreated by using implants or the body’s own fat tissues Read More
- Breast lift- Some women may feel that their skin is not strong enough or resilient enough to support the weight of the breast which results in saggy breasts. To rectify these conditions, breast lifts are performed that includes removing the excess skin from that area. However, this procedure does include some scarring. The incisions may be made in a wise pattern, LeJeour or peri-areolar area Read More
The recovery period may usually vary from person to person. However, the results obtained are long-lasting. But for the breast augmentation using implants, the surgeons suggest changing the implants every ten years. Pain and bruising after undergoing the surgery are common but they can be resolved with pain medications. Normal physical activities may be resumed after 4-5 days of following the procedures. But no strenuous activities can be resumed unless the surgeon instructs, to keep certain complications away.
Anyone undergoing a breast augmentation using implants must be aware and they will have to replace the implants after every ten years to avoid the chances of any infection or rupturing of the implants. So the results are not permanent rather they are long-lasting. Also for women undergoing a breast augmentation procedure, may require undergoing a breast lift procedure since large breast volume causes the breasts to sag very easily.
These the surgical breast procedures include some potential side effects like temporary swelling, bruising, pain, soreness, numbness around the treated area. Irritation, scarring, asymmetry, infection. However, they can be resolved by following the surgeon’s post-op instructions.
Procedure Surgeon in Mumbai
Dr Sameer Karkhanis is a renowned surgeon in Mumbai when it comes to surgical breast procedure. His very own centre is CCRS which is just 20 minutes away from Thane station, which is one of the best super speciality hospitals in Mumbai that has well-trained nurses who render their best services to their patients.
Preparing for the Breast Surgery
In order to perform a successful surgery, it is very important to find a surgeon who is experienced and adept in such procedures. After finding one such surgeon with whom the candidate can feel comfortable with and be able to share their problems and aims. During this consultation, the surgeon will analyse the patient to find if they are eligible to undergo the procedure or not by reviewing the medical history. A few tests may also be conducted for confirmation. The surgeon will provide some instructions that would include stopping certain medications as that may increase the risk of bleeding. Candidates who smoke are also instructed to quit smoking for at least two weeks before and after the surgery since nicotine may hinder the course of recovery.
During the surgery, the candidates are administered with the required anaesthesia (mostly general anaesthesia) in the right doses so that they can sleep through the entire procedure. The incisions are mostly made of areas within the natural folds and creases of the body so that the scarring is not prominently visible. The surgical procedure ends with suturing up the incisions and then bandaging and dressing up the sutures. Before leaving the hospital the surgeon provides them with sets of post-operative care that must be followed minutely.
- Who can undergo Breast Surgery?
Candidates who are unhappy or dissatisfied with the appearance of their breasts especially after pregnancy or nursing can undergo any breast surgical procedures. Overall the candidates must be in a good health condition with no serious illness and have overcome pregnancies and breastfeeding.
- Is breastfeeding possible after undergoing surgical breast procedures?
In some techniques, breastfeeding may be possible but in cases where the breast tissues are excised in such cases, breastfeeding may not be possible. Surgeons suggest the candidate to undergo the procedure after completing all of it.
- Does it include scarring?
Yes, it does include scarring but the scars are mostly hidden within the natural creases and folds of the body.
- How long until the results will be visible?
The results will be almost visible immediately after the surgery though some swelling and bruising may still persist. So the final results will be visible after few weeks when the swelling and bruising will vanish completely.