Facial expressions allow people to interact and communicate with each other. The individual appearance does matter because it impacts on how others perceive us. Maybe this is the reason that people try so hard to put their best face forward.
Some individuals prefer making some changes or improvements in their face to escalate the beauty or to get rid of certain deformities. Fortunately, many conditions can be successfully rectified with the growth of different types of cosmetic surgeons in practice recently. But it is very important for the people to make an informed decision, especially when considering an elective procedure. It is always preferred to seek the best treatments under board certified surgeons.
A cosmetic facial plastic surgery is performed to enhance the visual appearance of the face. A reconstructive plastic surgery is performed for patients with conditions that may be present from birth, such as birthmarks on the face, cleft lip, protruding ears, etc. Conditions that have caused as a result of accidents, trauma or burns can also be rectified by the surgery. So basically, it can widely treat the whole face, nose, lips, ears, and neck.
Different types of Facial Cosmetic Surgery
Cosmetic facial surgeries are gaining popularity as many of the procedures are being used today. These surgeries help to enhance the appearance or the functional activity of certain areas of the body. Following are the plastic surgeries that may be performed:
- Nasal surgery: It includes surgery in the nose where the cartilage and the bone can be reshaped and reconstructed. The extra bone or the cartilage may be removed if necessary. The procedure gives permanent results and the recovery period is approximately one week.
- Eyelid surgery: Also popular as Blepharoplasty, it is a surgery of the eyelids where the fat and the excess skin, bags, wrinkles in the eye area are removed which gives a better appearance and makes the eyes appear less tired. The recovery time involved is also nearly a week. The results are more or less permanent.
- Facelift- A facelift surgery is also popular as Rhytidectomy that can remove the excess skin in the face and tighten the muscles around the neck and the lower part of the face. The recovery time is around two weeks. The results obtained are long-lasting and may last for five to ten years depending on individual patients.
- Forehead lift- A forehead lift or brow lift is a surgery that can effectively minimize the forehead lines and wrinkles and elevate the brows to reduce the appearance of drooping eyelid providing a refreshing, healthy appearance. The recovery period involved is about 10 days and the results may last for up to ten years depending on the individual.
- Chin Augmentation- The chin Augmentation procedure is also known as Genioplasty or Mentoplasty that is related to the augmentation of small chin or reduction of a prominent chin. The recovery time is about one week and it gives permanent results.
- Ear surgery-This is the pinning down of the ear surgery that also helps to reshape the cartilage to a much smaller chin. The recovery time is about one week, resulting in permanent results.
- Skin resurfacing- The outer layer of the skin is usually removed with a laser, a chemical peel solution or a spinning brush that is used for dermabrasion and which gives a smoother and fewer wrinkled skin. The recovery time is about one to three weeks. The results are more or less permanent unless the candidate overexposes the skin to the harmful sun rays.
- Facial Reconstruction- This one is even more effective for those patients who have been through an accident or trauma and which have changed their appearance. This may include scar revision, fracture repair, vascular birthmark treatment, cleft lip, palate repair, etc.
Most of the facial surgeries usually do not require a long hospital stay. Depending on the extent of the surgery some of the procedures can be completed on an outpatient basis which means they do not have to stay a night in the hospital. While most of the surgeries do require a hospital stay for a minimum of two nights. The surgeon generally provides the patients with a set of post-op instructions which must be followed to achieve complication -free results.
The instructions may include avoiding heavy strenuous activities for about two weeks, taking medications on time, avoiding intake of certain medications that may hinder the healing. However, most of the patients feel comfortable while returning to work after a week or two, following the surgery, when the swelling and bruising have disappeared.
The surgeon should discuss the pros and cons of the procedure so that the candidates can keep a realistic expectation from the surgery. It is very important to contact an experienced surgeon who can carry out the procedures very efficiently so the desired results are achieved. However, these facial surgeries may include some side effects like nausea, numbness, blood clots, infection and adverse reaction to anesthesia. The candidates who are addicted to smoking are instructed to quit smoking for two weeks before to avoid complications in the surgery.
Procedure Surgeon in Mumbai
CCRS or the Centre for Cosmetic and Reconstructive Surgery is Dr Sameer Karkhanis’ centre, which is one of the best multi-specialty hospitals around the globe. So choosing CCRS for Face surgery is probably the best idea as the centre is equipped with all the latest technologies. Moreover, Dr. Karkhanis is one of the best surgeons, with profuse knowledge and experience on cosmetic and reconstructive surgery so patients can easily achieve what they aim to achieve.
Preparation before, during and after the procedure
After deciding to undergo any of the facial surgical procedures the candidates must first consult the surgeon to get a clear idea about the pros and cons of the procedure. It is very important to find some board certified surgeon whom you can trust and feel comfortable to achieve the best results. The surgeon will then provide the candidates with a set of instruction that basically restricts certain medications before undergoing the procedure since that may increase the chances of rising complications.
Immediately before beginning the procedure the candidates are administered with general or local anesthesia, as required. Finally, at the end of the procedure, the incisions are sutured and bandaged. Depending on their condition they stay a night in the hospital or may return back home. However, the candidates must follow the post-op instructions that are provided by the surgeon.
- Is facial plastic surgery painful?
No most of the facial surgical procedures are performed under general or local anesthesia so there are no chances that the patients may feel some pain or discomfort.
- Will the surgeries be painful?
Since most of the facial plastic surgeries are performed under general anesthesia , the candidates do not feel pain or discomfort during the execution of the procedure. Though the post-operative pain is usually mild and can easily be controlled with medication.
- How long do the procedures usually take?
The procedures usually take few hours for its completion depending on the extent of the surgery and the area of treatment.
- How long does the swelling and bruising usually last?
The non-surgical procedures usually include the least swelling and no bruising. But the surgical procedures does include swelling or bruising though that may vary from person to person and will get resolved within few week. It may take a minimum time of two weeks or more depend on the recovery speed of individuals.
Recommended View Testimonials