A facelift surgery is also commonly known as Rhytidectomy which is a surgical procedure and is used to decrease the appearance of facial wrinkles and other visible signs of aging. The ultimate goal is to achieve an improved appearance of the face and jaw. A Facelift surgery can aid in converting the harmful effects of time, stress and exposure to harmful elements to the skin and face.
Any professional and skilled surgeon usually focuses on the relaxation of the skin that causes the facial skin to sag, deep skin folds, lines between the nose and the corner of the mouth, disappeared fat, jowls, etc. However, the loss of some youthful contours in the face includes thinning of the skin, facial fat, gravity, sun damage, smoking, heredity, stress. A Facelift surgery may also be performed in conjunction with other procedures like a brow lift or eyelid surgery or may also be performed as a single sand alone procedure.
A face-lift surgery usually makes the face to appear younger and healthier. A facelift will actually take off the harmful effects of time and stress which helps to provide a much desired, youthful and rejuvenating appearance by reducing the wrinkles and other signs of aging.
The facelift procedure begins with administering medications to comfort the patients while the ongoing procedure. The choices include intravenous sedation and general anesthesia from which the surgeon will choose the best among the two. Often surgeons perform a variety of other procedures with facelifts like facial implants or fat transfer to improve the contour, resurfacing of the skin to improve the tone and texture of the facial skin, wrinkle reduction by injections of fat and fillers.
Now, depending on the degree of change desired, the facelift choices are made that includes a traditional facelift, mid facelift, mini facelift, lower facelift and thread facelift. An overall facelift procedure includes making incisions in the hairline at the temples that continues around the ear and ends at the lower scalp. The fat may be sculpted or redistributed from the face, jowls, and neck and repositioning the underlying tissues. Commonly the deeper layers of the face and muscles are also lifted to improve the appearance. At the end of the procedure, the skin is reshaped and the excess skin is trimmed away. For some people, a second incision under the chin may be necessary to help stop the further aging of the neck. The sutures are however held with skin adhesives.
- Traditional full facelift- This procedure gives the most comprehensive results that the doctor can address, deep creases below the eyes, sagging around the cheeks, lines around the mouth, excess fat and skin under the chin, jowls and more. The procedure targets larger areas of the skin under the chin, jowls. The incisions are made around the ear, along with the temple and then down to the neck. The procedure is perfect for patients between 50s and 60s.
- Mid facelift- In this procedure, a surgeon can lift and tighten the tissues below the eyes and around the cheeks. To perform such a procedure the incisions created are similar to a traditional facelift but are usually deeper. The muscles are the main target in this procedure and fat grafting or facial implants may be used to enhance the contours and create more defined cheekbones.
- Mini facelift- This involves smaller incisions and a very short recovery time and that is the reason it is termed as a weekend facelift. This surgical procedure targets the smaller areas of the face like the jaw, lower cheek, and neck. The unwanted fat, sagging skin are also eliminated by this procedure.
- Lower facelift- This targets the bottom third of the face and the procedure is an excellent way to eliminate the jowls, reduce deep nasolabial folds, lift the sagging corners of the mouth and enhance the jawline. The incisions are made in similar technique and the procedure targets to decrease the signs of aging and enjoy a more youthful appearance.
After following a facelift surgery a bandage is usually wrapped around the face to minimise the swelling and bruising. Some small tubes may be present to drain out the excess blood or fluid. Some pain and swelling may persist that will gradually go off with time. But surgeons prescribe some medications for pain and post-op instructions, that must be followed minutely. Most of the patients can go back to work within 1-2 weeks after a facelift. The scars will not be visible prominently since they are concealed within the natural contours of the face. Finally, the results will give the patients a natural rejuvenating appearance.
Though facelift is a restorative surgery, it still cannot change the fundamental appearance of the skin or the face. It is not responsible to stop aging it can just delay the aging. A facelift is performed surgically, a non-surgical approach will not be able to achieve the same results. Other limitation of facelift includes a reaction to anesthesia, bleeding under the skin, infection, numbness, scarring, etc.
Procedure Surgeon in Mumbai
Dr. Sameer Karkhanis, Centre for cosmetic and Reconstructive surgery in Mumbai is one of the best renowned multi-speciality clinics in Thane, Mumbai. This clinic is situated in Soham Gardens Complex at Ghodbunder Road that connects Thane to the Western Express Highway. The center is ten to fifteen minutes away from the Thane station and 30-45 minutes away from the western suburbs of Mumbai. Dr. Karkahnis and his center aim to provide the best facilities to their patients.
Preparation before, during and after the procedure
The preparation begins with the pre-surgery consultation where the patients must follow all the pre-surgical instructions. Two weeks before following the procedure the patients are usually instructed to restrict some medications and stop smoking as that could increase the recovery time. The patients are made ready for the procedure and are told to take leave for a couple of weeks. On the day of the surgery some primary health check-ups are finished up and then the anesthesia is administered. The incisions are made and after the completion of the procedure, the incisions are sutured up and then covered up with bandages.
- When will the candidates be able to resume exercises?
The patients who have undergone a facelift procedure can resume exercises within three weeks or more be depending on individual condition. It would be best to consult with your surgeon.
- How much pain is involved in the procedure?
Since the procedure is performed under local or general anesthesia , the patients do not experience any major pain during the procedure. But during the recovery period, the candidate may feel some pain and bruise which can be managed with prescribed medications.
- Are there scars involved in the procedure?
The incisions are made in such areas that the scars are not visible since the incisions are made in several inconspicuous areas on the face.
- Are the results permanent?
It depends. The results are definitely long-lasting but aging will bring some alterations in the obtained result. By undergoing a facelift surgery, candidates will look younger than their actual age.
Your New Look
Appropriate for young patients who would like to improve the balance of specific facial features, or older patients seeking to restore volume to sunken regions, facial implants improve or accentuate the appearance of the face by restoring balance and enhancing your natural smooth, round contours.
Although they can be used alone, facial implants are often used in conjunction with other cosmetic procedures for the total rejuvenation to effectively enhance the cheeks, nose, and chin, giving your face the soft, balanced appearance you desire.