Female Genital Surgery
Female Genital Surgery or Vaginal Rejuvenation is not a single procedure, rather it is just a combination of several procedures, that aims in rejuvenating the female genital cosmetic surgery. To rejuvenate the female genitals, some surgical procedures like labiaplasty, clitoral hood reduction, labia majoraplasty, monsplasty, and vaginoplasty are done.
The female genitalia is a hair-bearing area, over the pubic bone at the upper portion which is termed as the mons. The hair-bearing outer lips are called labia majora and the inner lips are called labia minora. The upper central portion is called the clitoral hood, which is sometimes called the prepuce, which covers the clitoris partly or entirely. Just below the clit, is the urethral opening and below that is the vaginal opening.
- Female genital surgeries help women to overcome any birth defects or issues that are related to their female genitals.
- The surgical procedures make the sexual activities much pleasurable and women do not have to any pain or discomfort after following such procedures.
- The procedures are more or less without any significant side effects or complications.
- Women may choose to undergo female genital surgeries to enhance the aesthetic, psychological and functional reasons.
Surgical procedures and its types
- Labiaplasty– This involves the surgery of the labia minor, which is the inner lips and less frequently, the outer lips or the labia majora. The labiaplasty is performed by genital cosmetic surgery that includes the reduction of the size of the inner lips so that they do not protrude below the lower lip and cause any pain or discomfort. Any asymmetry of the lips can be rectified, where differently sized lips are expurgated to bring them in a single shape. Some women even undergo a labiaplasty to alleviate issues like chafing, irritation and they gradually have to limit their activities such as bike riding, etc. Whereas, other women may undergo labiaplasty since they feel embarrassed about the appearance of their labia.
- Vaginoplasty- This procedure involves, tightening of the inner vagina and the vaginal opening by removing the excess tissue from the vaginal lining. It can effectively result in smaller vaginal diameter. Women who have lost the vaginal tightness due to childbirth often undergo Vaginoplasty to restore the tightness and this procedure is referred to as vaginal rejuvenation.
- Hymenoplasty- This procedure reconstructs the hymen which is actually a thin membrane that covers up the vaginal entrance in a virgin. In this cosmetic procedure, the surgeons bring the edges of the hymen nearer and connect them. So when the woman will have a sexual intercourse, this newly bound layer will tear and bleed thus proving the virginity of the women. Hymenoplasty is mostly performed for cultural or religious reasons where women gift their virginity to their partners.
- Labia majora augmentation- This procedure involves the enlargement of the outer lips by injecting them with fatty tissues. The fats are extracted from other parts of the woman’s body, then processed and injected. This is absolutely a safe procedure but does not produce permanent results.
- Vulval Lipoplasty- This procedure involves the implementation of liposuction to remove the fat deposits from the fatty pad, that is covered with pubic hair termed as mons pubis. This results in decreased mons pubis.
- G-spot Augmentation- This procedure involves injecting a collagen into the G-spot to enhance its size and it is somewhat related to the sexual pleasure of the woman. However, these results do not last longer than three or four months on an average after which the procedure has to be repeated.
- Clitoral hood reduction- This procedure reduces the hood of the skin which surrounds the clit in such a way, that the clit’s head starts becoming visible underneath. A Clitoral hood reduction thus aims in providing more stimulation, thus resulting in enhanced sexual pleasure. Clitoral hood reduction is also popular as hoodectomy.
The female genital surgeries do include some surgical risks like the risk of anaesthesia, bleeding infection and scarring. Other risks also include nerve damage, loss of sensation, labia asymmetry, permanent colour change, tissue death at the incision sites, a formation of blood clots, painful sex, dissatisfying results. However, most of these complications are short term and in most times can be cured.
Procedure surgeon in Mumbai
Preparing for the procedure
The decision to undergo a cosmetic surgery is extremely personal. They can undergo such procedures for a number of reasons, that may include addressing aesthetic goal, functional issues, and other related factors. So after deciding to undergo a surgical procedure, it is very important to consult with a surgeon, with whom the candidates can comfortably share their issues. The surgeon will review the medical history of his patient and then come to a conclusion as to, which procedure would be best for them.Immediately before undergoing any procedure the candidates are first administered with local or general anaesthesia to ensure comfort and painless surgeries. After the completion, the patients are made to stay in the hospital to initiate the recovery safely. Then they are allowed to return home with post-operative instructions, that the patients must follow minutely to avoid complications.
- Who can undergo these procedures?
Mostly women, who have recently overcome pregnancy and childbirth or is suffering from some serious issues choose to undergo any such procedure.
- What is the recovery time for the procedure?
Surgeons typically suggest a recovery time of two to three days off from work and the healing completes until few weeks. Though the recovery time varies from person to person.
- What are the risks or potential complications?
Just like any other surgical or cosmetic procedures, the risks involved are bleeding, infection, pain, numbness, scarring, undesired results, etc.
- When can women resume their sexual intercourse after undergoing the procedures?
This depends on the procedure, that the woman underwent and the severity of that surgery. But it is always best to follow the instructions provided by your surgeon. On average women can resume their sexual life after a month of undergoing the procedure.