Go for skin tightening after weight loss for better health and a better life
All you want is a fit body and a healthy life. Don’t you?
A fit body! Is it so easy? Lots of hard work is required. If you are on a strict diet and exercising daily, other body parts will lose weight rapidly but the fat in the abdomen is hard to fight with. Or you have an excess skin after weight loss surgery. In either of the case, panniculectomy is all you need.
After a drastic weight loss especially when associated with bariatric surgery, a large amount of excess skin and fat is left behind. The lower stomach area that lies below the beltline is the main junction of such excess skin and fats known as pannus or abdominal ‘apron’. The panniculectomy is a surgical procedure to remove the pannus.
So, if you are struggling and dieting hard for a flat tummy, opt for panniculectomy to have a tightening skin after weight loss without surgery.
As we are talking about a healthy life, the extra folds or folds of skin in the abdomen can put stress on the back, inhibit hygiene and all this can make your day to day activities difficult. Rashes, skin odor, and skin ulcers can persist due to the moisture generating in the pubic region under the pannus as perspiration is trapped. In such instances, if it is something serious then even basic tasks like standing and walking can become tough.
It’s good to have a weight loss surgery to reduce weight. But, I am sure you don’t want to be one of them with an excess skin on your tummy making your life difficult. Then you have this plastic surgery after weight loss surgery that is panniculectomy.
Thank you for showing interest
Whether you want to clear the small doubt or want to discuss something major, our specialist team is more than happy to evaluate your needs and identify the problem. To book the consultation, click on the button below
If you are facing negative side effects due to excess fats in the abdomen after a drastic weight loss or through a weight loss surgery then you can be a good candidate for the panniculectomy. Loose tissues in the abdomen can cause irritation, tiredness and an unhealthy body.
For a body skin tightening after weight loss surgery, you can be one of the candidates for panniculectomy if:
- A person facing back pain, rashes, or ulcers due to excess abdominal skin.
- Maintaining stable weight for at least six months.
- If you don’t smoke.
- If you are bodily active.
- A woman with no planning of expecting a child.
- Having realistic expectation from surgery.
- You are in a good health and sustaining a healthy diet.
- Diabetes and high blood pressure are under control
A person who has shed pounds of body weight through hard work-out or bariatric surgery but is left with loose skin and tissues are the ones who can benefit from panniculectomy. Loose skin after weight loss surgery is one of the worst side effects which affects your health and everyday work. The panniculectomy will remove all your burdens.
If you have undertaken gastric sleeve surgery you will have significant weight loss for the time being but giving an invitation to a new problem- excess skin. Excess skin leads to pain, discomfort, and rashes. The panniculectomy can then benefit you to have a relief through these problems.
Excess and loose skin occurrence are said to be an indication that your weight loss surgery or workout is on the right track. Tighten skin after weight loss naturally after some time with a healthy lifestyle, care, and maintenance. But if the sagging does not improve over time then panniculectomy will surely benefit you to remove loose skin after weight loss surgery. After this surgery gives your body a required time to heal and overturn.
Before the surgery, it is very important to have a brief discussion about panniculectomy with your surgeon. Best and experienced surgeon is ideal for better results and a proper surgery. Openly discuss all the goals and expectation. Let your surgeon know all your medical and surgical history so that he/she can decide are you a good nominee for skin surgery after a weight loss surgery. Also, tell him if you are presently taking any medicines for any of the diseases mainly diabetes and high blood pressure.
After consultation and all the discussion, the next stage is to know the pre-operative procedure that should be followed
- You can be asked to have an EKG or a chest X-ray before surgery depending on your medical history and age.
- You can be asked for medications before a couple of days to the surgery.
- Your surgeon will provide you with a handful of information that should be taken into action before and on the day of the surgery.
- Let someone be with you before and after surgery so that he/she can help you in the hospital while the time you heal.
- If you are going for this plastic surgery after massive weight loss, be sure to have a complete examination of your abdomen, the status of your abdominal skin, and the location and amount of excess skin to be removed with your surgeon.
- If you are in good condition after surgery arrange for someone to drive you home when all the procedure and medications are done.
- Be punctual for all the appointments given by your surgeon.
- Follow the instruction about when to stop eating and drinking before surgery.
- Clear all your doubts, risk-factors, and complications with your surgeon and have realistic goals for your surgery.
Loose skin after weight loss surgery is due to after weight lose your skin does not have enough plasticity to get back down. To get rid of this excess skin panniculectomy is one of the best solutions.
But how does this procedure is undertaken?
It is an invasive surgical procedure which can take about four to five hours for its completion and the patient require one overnight stay at the hospital. A well-trained surgeon will undergo the surgery and an anesthesiologist will give you anesthesia to put you to sleep.
Two incisions are taken by your surgeon
- Horizontal-oriented incision
- Vertical midline incision
Between the pubic hairline and belly button, the horizontal-oriented incision is required. It is a horizontal cut from hipbone to the next. The length and shape of this cut usually depend upon the amount of excess skin after weight loss surgery is to be removed. In some cases, if a patient has excess skin and tissue in the transverse direction the vertical midline incision is the necessity.
Most of the incisions are made around the navel but in some demanding conditionnavel has to be sacrificed. A drain is inserted in a certain requirement when excess fluid is to be taken out during the procedure. In a window shape, the surgeon pulls down the remaining abdominal skin. The remaining skin is sutured after the excess skin is cropped out.
And then comes the last stage where incisions are closed with tapes, skin adhesives, and sutures. After incisions are taped, the belly button is repositioned or in some cases, it is removed after your consultation before surgery. And this is how your skin removal surgery after weight loss takes place.
And here you have a contouring body with a flatter tummy. Excess skin is removed and you will have no more chafe for your clothes.
Panniculectomy is through an outpatient skin removal surgery after weight loss, but in some explicit cases, the patient may require to stay in the hospital for observations or medications. In your pre-consultation, your surgeon will tell you to be prepared for different conditions.
After panniculectomy when you are back to your house certain things should be remembered:
- Avoid lifting heavy objects
- Try to stay away from difficult activities for a few weeks after the operation.
- Sponge bath and wear a support garment for fast recovery.
- Prepare yourself for a little pain and discomfort from the swelling and brushing at the incision sites.
- The amazing thing is the deeper sutures will dissolve on their own and your outer stitches will be removed within a week.
- A skin tightening surgery after weight loss will recover completely at least in a month with proper rest and diet.
- It is your responsibility to have regular appointments to see the lasting result.
The people undergoing panniculectomy have reduced up to five pounds of weight. After surgery, they feel physically active and personal hygiene is also maintained. The patients can see the worst scars on their abdomen but they will look better after some time. And finally fades as healing continues.
If you don’t have a tighten skin after weight loss naturally, excess skin can be recovered by panniculectomy with a little mental and physical strength and with a big trust on your doctor. With proper care and rest, people recover soon and join their work within two weeks and look and feel better.
Panniculectomy is said to be a medically necessary weight loss skin removal surgery. But as we know it is a plastic surgery and with surgical procedures, some potential risks and complication can arrive.
- Bleeding at wounds
- Blood clotting
- Fluid accumulation
- Nerve damage
- Persistent pain
If any of the above complications occurs then concern a doctor and go for an immediate medication. As you are going for body contouring after massive weight loss you will face certain side-effects but at the end, after a few months ,you will feel better and finally have a contouring body.
The word panniculectomy is referred to the removal of pannus, the overhanging skin at the lower abdomen after a massive weight loss and pregnancy or both. A skin tightening surgery after weight loss surgery. Whereas a tummy tuck gives the abdomen a well-toned appearance by removing excess skin or fat and tightening the abdominal muscle and also known as abdominoplasty.
What are the main differences between the two?
- It is referred to as functional excess skin removal surgery after weight loss.
- it helps to improve mobility
- it focuses mainly on pannus giving a more contouring body
- The main target is on the excess skin and fat in the lower abdomen that hangs below the belly line.
- It is often performed along with other body contouring surgeries.
- It is referred to us cosmetic surgery mainly undertaken for the more flattered abdomen.
- Improves mobility to a limited extent
- Focuses on the skin in the upper and the lower abdomen.
- Can help to recover weakened and separated abdominal muscles.
- In tummy tuck, some of the cases also undergo liposuction to remove belly fat.
In essence, people can go for panniculectomy alone to fulfil their demand for a flat abdomen. Instead of a tummy tuck which is a cosmetic surgery that also includes tightening the abdomen muscle. Go for this panniculectomy skin surgery after weight loss surgery for excellent results.
- Best skin tightening after weight loss surgery
- A wide range of surgery around all the domains of plastic surgery.
- Best facilities and infrastructure
- Advance technology and equipment’s
- Highly qualified and experienced surgeons
- Surgeons have enhanced beauty of a number of patients by different surgeries
- Partnership with leading hospitals
- Outstanding and unconditional care of the patient by the staff
- Personalise attention by the doctors
For more details visit www.plasticssurgerycentre.com
Gain confidence after having a surgery with the team of our surgeons, massive weight loss loose skin, will no more a threat in your life.
Q Can I get rid of excess weight without surgery?
A In some of the cases, there is no way of getting rid of excess skin without surgery. As when you gain weight your skin stretches due to collected fats and when you lose weight the fats are eliminated but the stretched skin does not shrink and gets loosen. Which can be only removed by surgery.
QShould a diabetic patient undergo panniculectomy?
A If your diabetes is under control and your regular physician clears you for the surgery then you can go for skin surgery after weight loss surgery.
QHow can I expect my abdomen to look over time?
A You will have scars but it fades after some time. And you will feel confident and happy.
QWhat surgical technique is recommended for me?
A It depends upon your skin type and the amount of excess skin to be removed.
Sameer Karkhanis, MD
Board-Certified Mumbai Plastic Surgeon
Chief Plastic Surgeon & the Director at CCRS is a qualified Aesthetic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon. He is Board Certified, with the qualification of DNB Plastic Surgery (Diplomate of National Board). He is an active member of the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.